4.21.2010

MICA Fashion Show Highlights

This weekend I traveled to the heart of Baltimore and was able to not only see the Transmodern Festival (and spot Dan Deacon) but attend the MICA Annual Benefit Fashion Show as well. With a seat directly in front of the runway I was able to get the best view in the house (despite a few cases of skimpy loincloths). I accidentally took upwards of 400 pictures but decided to spare the pixels and select some of my favorite looks from each designer.

Janae Smith presented a tribal line that boasted creative uses of fur but left me wanting more...clothes.











Sarah Ivancic presented the empowered woman, beautifully.





Although not thoroughly impressed with Mika Eubank's line of business chic, I loved her concept celebrating the "evolution of women" and this particular model who strutted the runway with the talent of a model who has seen her fair share of New York Fashion Week.



Sally Park's line exploring secret obsessions topped my favorite looks of the show. My mouth held agap as this intricate floral gown passed in front of my eyes. I am utterly suprised I worked my camera in time to capture its beauty.





Sophia Park and Virginia Rohr's line lacked a common theme however their metal pieces did a good job of tying together the looks within the show. Each individualized piece impressed me more than the last. The black "tube" hood on one of the final male models was extremely innovative and was only topped by the over-the-edge attitude of the man of gold who followed him.











Kate Weintraub and Morgan Frailey's line inspired by Victorian bondage was another favorite. Animal skull placed over your no-no's? Yes, yes.







Jessica Marx's work was damn impressive for a sophomore student and again took a more tribal turn. The organic quality of the work was intriguing and surprisingly versatile. This style reminded me of a Southern Belle, if her mother had been part of a Native American tribe.



The concept behind Julia Cheng and Spencer Agoston's work applied to my interests minimally at best but they looked terrifically alien within the dim theater.







No comments: